Thursday, March 5, 2009

My Affair with Chocolate

Poster by Steff Green via Art

I promised to be true and loyal to The Groom on our wedding day. What he doesn't know is that I was crossing my fingers behind me. Shh!!! I have had a long lasting love affair with chocolate, and I'm not ready to give it up.

I have been a chocolate fiend for as long as I can remember. And all my dreams came true one day back in 1997 when I was looking for a college job. I was referred to this quaint chocolatier in Fishkill, NY, the town where I resided at the time. As you enter The Alps Sweet Shop you're grazed by the sweetness in the air. It looks like chocolate wonderland in there, full of baskets and truffles and dim lights, glass display cases full of chocolate. Mmhh!

After my interview with Sally (the owner), it was clear that it was a perfect match. They were looking for a chocolate elf and I was willing to do quality control on all their freshly made candy. Some of my best memories come from working at that lovely place. Lunch sometimes would be a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, which was made of a peanut butter cup, a chocolate covered jelly and a chocolate covered graham cracker. Sugar rush anybody? I'd say!

My job there was easy (and delicious I might add). How can you go wrong with chocolate? There's nothing like seeing your costumer's happy faces filled with pure pleasure once you stocked their goodie bags with their favorites. And you develope such an intimate relationship with the regulars, who come back for their Christmas presents, Easter bunnies, chocolate filled hearts for Valentine's Day, or just after a good doctor's visit.

The shop's story is actually very touching. Back in 1922, Sally's grandfather, migrated from Greece to the Hudson Valley in New York. He opened a small homemade chocolate shop, which quickly became very popular in town. The original store is still open and the squeaks and charm bring you back in time when you set foot in it. It has gone from generation to generation and it is now operated by Sally and her husband.

So if you're ever in town, do not hesitate in stopping by. I promise you will not regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment