Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Our Journey: Part II

So after Dippin’ Dots, we each went our way and didn’t see each other until Prom night. We had planned on getting everyone together at my parent’s house, take pictures, exchange corsages, boutonnieres, etc and be on our way.

Here is where it gets tricky. Remember how I mentioned that as a Foreign Exchange Student I really didn’t have a clue about this whole Prom business? Well, I accidentally ended up with two dates. It was funny! Well maybe not so funny for my second date. But we all found humor in it. My second date was a Freshman at my High School. One day before Prom we were chit-chatting in a group when me and my big mouth said: Hey Tom, are you coming to Prom? The kid's face lit up and then looked at me with confusion. I totally missed those signals. After he told me he wasn't planning on going to Prom since he didn't have anybody to go with, I said: Well, you should come with us! (motioning to my friends). I think it'd be fun!

To my defense, I thought it was a regular school party, where everyone went with a group of people. I didn't realize the whole "Prom date" thing was such a big deal.

So Prom day comes and everyone is showing up at my house all nice and pretty. Parents are all ready with their cameras, girls are all giggly with their hair done and pretty jewelry, boys are ready to hand out their corsages!?!? And it was then that it dawned on me: I have TWO dates!!! And what is worse, I only have ONE boutonniere!

So my poor mother had to run to the closest florist in town and get a second boutonniere, for my second date.

The Groom at our prom
My two dates: Tom and The Groom

It ended up being OK. Some of my girlfriends went to Prom without dates, so they were more than happy to help me entertain two dates. Most of my classmates thought that it was just a Venezuelan custom to wear two corsages! And I didn't argue.

So, while Freshman Tom was having a good time jumping from dance to dance. The Groom and I danced all night long! Our feet hurt when the night was over. He literally swept me off my feet. And it was a sweet night.

We started dating immediately and I had my first taste of the meaning of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment